Successful Hospital Managers know that having performed an intervention is not sufficient to stay effective. They know that performance improvement is a continuous process. It requires a continuous monitoring and improvement of its performance. With Hospital Productivity Benchmark and Hospital Quality Benchmark you can the monitor your performance and quality over time, compared to peers and mirrored on your strategic goals.
Step 2: Capitalize on inefficiencies
- Efficiency clinics with our team of consultants normally take a day and generate ‘mini business cases’. In these one page reports, the participants suggest process changes that results in reaching the identified improvement (mostly expressed in full time equivalent savings target). Requirements will be set (investments, cooperation from other departments, management). Suggested better process organization can be learned by peer site visits, known best practices, or can be the result of a workshop with the employees of the department.
- Deciding on process changes to be implemented is a job of the hospital management. A list of mini business cases will be presented by the task force to the board of directors.
Step 3: Intervent & Redesign clinical pathways
The implementation phase requires decisions: which departments can make their own change happen and where do we need to support with external change managers? New work methods need to be developed, and people need to be coached through changes.
Step 4: Monitor
Monitoring of results shows, if you are really going into the right direction. Departments that succeed can see their result and figure a showcase to others to follow. It closes your learning cycle. As the benchmark develops over time, new departments will pop up that require improvement. Continuous efficiency monitoring will bring your hospital to the next level of performance.
Our experience is that, after analysis, around 70% of the identified potential is ‘true’. The other 30% can be explained by special functions of hospitals, big running projects, availability constraints etc. From the 70% remaining, roughly one third is hard to get because it requires major investments in ICT or infrastructure. But 70% (or about half of the identified potential) can be easily improved in short term, just by minor investments in education, process flow or planning.